What exactly is Microphotography? In simple terms, it is when you use a special micro lens to capture images really up close. In some cases it can make the object life-sized or even bigger. The results can be intricately detailed and sharp images.

This was my first time shooting with Micro, I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was. I was not used to using a camera that zoomed in so much since I was used to shooting with a normal lense. One of the main problems that I encountered was focusing. It was difficult to focus on a particular spot if there were other 'distractions' in the viewfinder. Especially if my image had objects that were deep in the picture aside from the main subject--my camera wasn't sure where to focus.
Another problem I encountered was actually keeping the camera still. Since the object was very close up, any slight movement made a big difference in composition. It was very frustrating at first because every time I would crouch down to shoot a flower it was a physical challenge to keep a steady hand.
After processing my film and making a contact sheet, I glanced over my options for printing. At one point I started printing one of my images and, after many inadequate test-strips, discovered that the photo itself was slightly out of focus. It was difficult to spot this problem on the contact sheet. This just proved how challenging it was to focus on my tiny, multiple subjects with this lens.
Something to do next time I shoot Micro:
- Bring a spray bottle
Water droplets create very round and uniformed subjects when sprayed on a leaf, their properties are accentuated with the power of the Micro lens. Their presence in an image would definitely create a detailed and interesting picture.



No comments:
Post a Comment